Speaker cabinet emulation devices can be broadly broken into two categories - analog and impulse responses (IR). IRs, while accurately capturing whatever cabinet and mic was used when the IR was taken, typically have very limited or no control options. They are fixed ‘snapshots’ of a specific cab and mic combination and if you aren’t happy with a particular IR you either have to accept it or search through a bank of IRs until you find one you do like. Analog speaker cab emulators, while often giving more adjustment options are also often too dark, too fizzy, not complex enough, too comb filter-ish, or just get something wrong in the frequency response somewhere.
The AXiom Speaker Cab Emulator SCE-1 is a sophisticated 100% analog speaker cab emulator that is based on the frequency responses of 82 speaker cab and mic combinations, with controls that were meticulously tuned to accurately reproduce their defining characteristics while providing extensive control over all the critical parameters. It gives you precise and realistic control over the resonant frequency of the cab, speaker size, mic angle and distance from the grille, speaker baffle rigidity (stiff to "floating"), cab construction style (open vs. closed back) and speaker magnet type (ceramic vs. alnico). Not only does it sound like a real miked cab, it gives you an easily adjustable, endless variety of them at your fingertips.
- 100% analog circuitry
- Based on the frequency responses of 82 speaker cab and mic combinations.
- A RESonance control that adjusts the strength of the cabinet's resonant peak and a FREQuency control that adjusts at what frequency the cab resonates (from 95 Hz to 215 Hz).
- A SPKR control that adjusts from 8" to 15" speakers.
- MIC controls that reproduce the effects of mic DISTANCE from the grille (near to far) and mic ANGLE (on-axis to 45 degrees).
- A BAFFLE control that emulates the influence that speaker baffle stiffness and construction has on frequency response.
- Cerm/Alnico settings that reproduce the extended high-end response of ceramic speakers and the accentuated 2-4 kHz range typical of Alnico speakers.
- Open and Closed cabinet construction settings that accurately emulate the low-end resonance characteristics of open and sealed cabinets.
- True bypass